Artist: Sang Joon Park
Sang Joon Park, NEW YORK
FROM THE ARTIST
My intent is to express my thoughts through my vessels, which are mostly thrown on the potter’s wheel. For some of my pieces, I use traditional Korean techniques — inhwamun stamping/inlay technique to create floral patterns, and gwiyal slip technique to apply expressive color slips. I believe that the combination of these time-tested techniques and my modern forms create unique, artful pieces that are beautiful yet practical.
My installation pieces are both an extension and a departure from my wheel throwing method. Going beyond surface decorations, I started experimenting with developing sculptural forms by stacking and hanging them, destroying the perfect wheel-thrown forms, and arranging them to make abstract compositions. My latest piece, titled “New York Winter”, was created by leaving hundreds of wheel thrown bowls outside. They changed and weathered over time, reflecting their natural environment and seasonal change that surrounded them.
Born in Dae Jeon, South Korea, Sang Joon currently lives and works in upstate New York. He received his BFA in Ceramics from Mok Won University in Korea and his MFA from Pratt Institute in New York. He has exhibited at numerous galleries and institutions including Korean and Japanese Cultural Centers in Washington DC and New York. Sang Joon has been selected to participate in the most prestigious craft shows such as Smithonian Craft Show and Philadelphia Museum of Art and Craft Show, and the invitational Old Church Pottery Show in New Jersey.
Exhibitions & Shows
- Group exhibition at Bergdorf Goodman NYC 2021
- Solo exhibition at KCC gallery New Jersey 20121
- Group exhibition at Waterfall gallery, NYC, 2021
- Group exhibition at District clay gallery, Washington DC, 2018
- Group exhibition at Japanese cultural center , Washington DC ,2018
- Philadelphia Museum of art and craft show, 2018, 2017 2015, 2007. 2005
- Invitation pottery show at Old church NJ , 2018,2017, 2016
- 3person selected Exhibition at Korean cultural center New York 2015
- Group exhibition at Waterfall gallery, New York 2015, 2014
- 3person exhibition at Sculpture Space NYC 2015
- Smithsonian Craft show at National Museum ,Washington DC 2015,2014,2013,2012,2011,2009,2008,and 2006
- Group Show“ Phantoms of Asia” San Francisco Asian Museum ,CA 2012
- Solo exhibition, Chelsea West Gallery, New York, NY
- 3 person exhibition Sylvia Wald & Po Kim Art Gallery New York , NY, 2010
Honors & Award
- Best show and award of distinction in ceramic , Boston craft show, 2014 and 2019
- Exhibitor’s Choice gold award , Smithsonian craft show 2012