Artist: Tom Budzak
Tom Budzak, ARIZONA
View Artist's Products
My current body of work is largely influenced by three factors: ancient pottery
forms from other cultures, the contemporary hand-made craft movement, and
pointillistic surface decoration. I incorporate the first of these influences, ancient
pottery forms, in the shapes of my pieces. Some of my forms reference 12th
century Korean wine ewers, others 18th century English Rococo teapot
handles, while others are inspired by 16th century Japanese teabowls. As a
ceramics instructor, I enjoy studying and teaching the history of the art, and
often pull inspiration from many different cultures. Although some pieces are
intended to be viewed as art, much of my work is also intended for everyday
functional use. I take great satisfaction in designing beautiful pieces that people
can incorporate in their daily life. A simple cup of coffee or bowl of soup takes
on a higher quality when it is enjoyed from a hand-crafted porcelain piece. The
last influence, pointillistic surface decoration, is a process that I have
developed to decorate each piece by hand. Using glaze and underglaze, I
apply thousands of tiny dots to each piece. This gives each piece a one-of-a-
kind decoration in a mesmerizing visual pattern. I also explore leaving negative
space or color blocking along with the dots to add variety. With all of my
artwork I create each piece start to finish. From throwing on the wheel, hand
building, mold making, glazing, and firing, I retain total control.
Skilled ceramics instructor and technician with extensive experience in studio management.
MESA ART CENTER 2014-present
INSTRUCTOR MASTER TEACHER
• Taught Ceramics Beginning Wheel, Hand Building and Independent Studio.
• Created projects for throwing on the potter’s wheel for a wide range of community students.
• Organized schedules for eight week sessions
MARICOPA COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGES 2008-present
• Developed a curriculum to teach multiple levels of students in the same class.
• Instructed multiple ceramics courses at the Paradise Valley, Glendale, and South Mountain campuses.
• Organized schedules for semester-long, eight week and five week sessions.
• Created projects for hand-building, throwing, glazing and other disciplines.
• Taught an early enrollment class for high school students.
CENTRAL ARIZONA COLLEGE 2006-2015, 2019-Present
• Taught Art Appreciation, Two-Dimensional Design, and four levels of Ceramics courses at the Signal Peak and
Superstition Mountain campuses.
• Oversaw inventory and the ordering of supplies for each semester.
• Organized student and faculty art exhibitions.
• Assisted in designing the layout of a new ceramics studio at the college.
• Coordinated with facilities to ensure safety standards were being met in the studio and placing work orders.
• Assisted in the hiring and assigning of duties for the college work studies and technician.
TEMPE ART CENTER, EDNA VIHEL CENTER FOR THE ARTS 2006-2015
• Developed a working schedule for year round loading and firing of gas and electric kilns.
• Kiln repair and maintenance.
• Maintained the ceramic glazes and slips and developed new glazes as needed.
• Quarterly inventory with organization of the studio and storage area.
• Designed more efficient work spaces including construction of new storage and shelving units.
THE ARTIST’S ADVISORY COMMITTEE OF THE ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY ART MUSEUM CERAMICS RESEARCH CENTER 2009-2014
• Helped to coordinate the yearly Ceramic Studio Tour for 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
• Served as a point of contact for the educational and social media committees.
• Assisted in the set-up for the gallery shows at the Ceramic Research Center at Arizona State University.
NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY 2003-2006
GRADUATE ASSISTANT, CERAMIC TECHNICIAN AND GALLERY ASSISTANT
• Instructed Art Appreciation and Intro to Ceramics courses.
• Maintained the ceramic studio and the gas, electric, and Blaauw kiln.
• Organized gallery shows including the hanging of art, lighting and being a docent.
• Served as a graduate representative on the university art purchasing committee and art gallery donations board.
QUANTUM ART & DESIGN 2002-2003
• Worked on art production of thrown and hand-built ceramics including glazing, loading and unloading kilns.
• Packaged artwork and coordinated shipments.
• Worked as a salesperson in the gallery.
MASTER OF FINE ART 2006
New Mexico State University
BACHELOR OF FINE ART 2002
Arizona State University
2018 Ceramic +, MCC Art Gallery, Mesa AZ
2018 Cups of Conversation, in conjunction with the 2018 NCECA Conference, Pittsburgh, PA
2018 Growlerfest, in conjunction with the 2018 NCECA Conference, Pittsburgh, PA
2017 Random/Refined, Solo Exhibition, Practical Art, Phoenix, AZ
2015 The 3rd International Zainesville Prize for Contempary Ceramics Competition and Exhibtion,
Seilers’ Studio & Gallery, Zainesville, OH
2015 Beyond the Brickyard Seventh Annual Juried Exhibition, juried by Mark Hewitt, Helena, MT
2014 DRINK! | Silpe Gallery Open Juried Exhibition, juried by Doug Peltzman, West Hartfort, CT
2014 Atomica Ceramica Redo: Ceramic Artworks En Masse, juried by Sue Berzelius, Chandler, AZ
2014 Scotchie Crown Classic, juried by Victoria Cooke, Columbia, SC
2014 Mesa Contemporary Arts’ 35th Annual Contemporary Crafts Exhibition, juried by Julie Muñiz, Mesa, AZ
2013 Starbrick Clay National Cup Show, juried by Lorna Meaden, Nelsonville, OH
2013 History in the Making VII: Ceramic Traditions, Contemporary Objects, juried by Jane Shellenbarger, Genesee Pottery, Rochester, NY
2013 Atomica Ceramica: juried by Sue Berzelius, Chandler Center for the Arts, Chandler, AZ
2012 Cups of Fire, juried by Susan Beiner, The Clay Gallery, Ann Arbor, MI
2011 History in the Making VI: juried by Bill Stewart, Genesee Pottery, Rochester, NY
2011 Yunomi: (The Other Tea Vessel), juried by Sam Chung, Jane Hartsook Gallery, Greenwich House Pottery,
New York, NY
2011 HE Group Show, curated by Matt Hilyard, Steckline Gallery, Newman University, Wichita, KS
2011 Mesa Contemporary Arts’ 32nd Annual Contemporary Crafts Exhibition, juried by Perry Price, Mesa, AZ
2010 Mesa Contemporary Arts’ 31st Annual Contemporary Crafts Exhibition, juried by Jane Sauer, Mesa, AZ
2009 Biennial Ceramics Exhibition, juried by Kurt Weiser, Northern Arizona University Art Museum,
2009 Friendly Fire-Ceramics, juried by Bunny McBride, Foundry Art Centre, St. Charles, MO
2009 History in the Making IV: Ceramic Traditions, Contemporary Pots, juried by Ron Meyers, Genesee Pottery,
2009 US Open Outdoor Sculpture Show, in conjunction with the 2009 NCECA Conference, Mesa Community College,
2009 Mesa Contemporary Arts’ 30th Annual Contemporary Crafts Exhibition, juried by Namita Gupta Wiggers, Mesa, AZ
2008 Solo Exhibition, Devonshire Center, Phoenix, AZ
2008 All AZ Clay, Shemer Art Center & Museum, Phoenix, AZ
2008 RedSky Gallery Teapot Forms, juried by Mark Leach, Charlotte, NC
2008 Sequim Arts Juried Show, juried by Eric Swangstu, Sequim, WA
2007 Cave Creek Film and Arts Festival, Town Hall, Cave Creek, AZ
2007 A Cup & Saucer Exhibition, Where I Fell in Love Gallery, Warwickshire, England
2006 Telos, MFA Thesis Show “Melting Pots“ NMSU Art Gallery, Las Cruces, NM
2005 Intervals, Joint show with Margot Sanborn, Museum of Fine Art, Las Cruces, NM
2005 Will’s Creek Survey, Allegany Arts Council, Saville Gallery, Cumberland, MD
2003 The Saratoga Clay Company Presents Clay 2003, juried by Regis Brodie, Hall’s Peppermill, Saratoga Springs, NY
2002 Artlink’s 6th Annual Juried Exhibit, juried by Rudy Autio, Phoenix City Hall, Phoenix, AZ
2001 Hypochondria?, Joint show with Shawna Eaton, Step Gallery, Tempe, AZ
2001 San Angelo 10th Annual Ceramic Invitational, San Angelo University, San Angelo, TX
HONORS, AWARDS, AND ACTIVITIES
2016 Phoenix New Times 100 Phoenix Creatives of 2016
2015 Phoenix Magazine Where to Buy Local feature
2015 Ceramics Monthly April Issue, Studio Visit feature
2012 Recognized by the Phi Theta Kappa Society for valuable service for the District Honors Program at
Central Arizona College
2011 Luxe Magazine Style Maker feature
2009-2011 Donated work to the Dinner on the Desert Silent Auction, proceeds benefiting the Desert Botanical Garden
2009 Best In Show, History in the Making IV: Ceramic Traditions, Contemporary Pots
2006 Recipient of the Jaffe Award for Ceramic Excellence, New Mexico State University
2002 Recipient of the Herberger Award for Outstanding Student in Ceramics, Arizona State University