Artist: Wesley T. Brown
Wesley T. Brown, OHIO
Through clay I explore the concepts of human identity formed as a result of experience and time. Through careful examination of one’s past the multiplicity of lived experiences can begin to be understood and a deeper meaning assigned. I seek through the construction of my work to convey the attempt to make from many storied surfaces a single composition. I act upon clay with physicality to impress upon its malleable surface a history of force and pressure. Every part is then cut into pieces as improvisation and intuition come to the forefront for the constructing of a new whole. There is a uniqueness as each piece is a conglomeration of the interweaved parts and histories. The final piece with its many sides, textures, and parts is then cloaked in the color black. The final presentation to the viewer is a dark silhouette, leaving the many details to only be discovered through intimate examination.
- 2018 Masters of Fine Art, Ceramics, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana. May
- 2014 Bachelor of Fine Art Degree with honors (Cum Laude) in 3D studies, emphasis in ceramics, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio December 2014
- 2012 Associates of Art in Art: emphasis in ceramics with honors from Sinclair Community College Dayton, Ohio.
- 2009 High School Diploma from Troy Christian High School. Troy, Ohio
- 2020 Short Term Resident Artist. Companion Gallery. Humbolt, TN. Aug 3-14
- 2018 Long Term Resident Artist. Baltimore Clayworks. Baltimore, Maryland, June 2018-July 2019
- 2014 West Virginia University: Ceramics in China Study Abroad. Jingdezhen, People’s Republic of China, Pottery Workshop in Jingdezhen. May 26th to June 30th
Visiting Artist, Talks, and Workshops
- Virtual Visiting Artist. Kent State University. April 23. Kent, OH
- Expressive Teapots; Workshop. Companion Gallery. April 17. Humboldt, TN
- Wheel Meets Hand; Workshop. Pocosin Arts School of Fine Craft. Jan 23 and 30. Columbia, NC
- Dr. Charles White Speaker Series. Stetson University. DeLand, FL. Jan 27
- Virtual Demonstrating Artist. University of Houston Clear Lake. Houston, TX. Dec 4
- The Role of Art in the Fight for Social Justice. Panel Discussion Paul Briggs, Vinnie Bagwell, Wes Brown. Clay Art Center, Port Chester, NY. Oct 7.
- Life into Work, Artist Talk. Clay Art Center, Port Chester, NY. Sept 17
- Sandy Spring Friends School. Demonstration, Lecture, and Workshop. Sandy Spring, MD April 19
- Clay by the Bay. 2 Day Workshop and Lecture. San Francisco, CA. May25-26
- Ann Arundel Community College. Demonstrations and Lecture. Ann Arundel, MD. October 26
- Community College of Baltimore County. Demonstration and Lecture. Catonsville, MD. September 18
- 2020 Solo Show, Companion Gallery, Humbolt, TN. Nov 14-Dec 14
- 2019 Momentum, Baltimore Clayworks, Baltimore, MD
- 2018 Monument, Thesis Exhibition, Grunwald Gallery, Bloomington, IN April 10-21st.
- We Are Clay. Baltimore Clayworks. Baltimore, MD
- Material Mugs V: Underglaze. Companion Gallery. Humboldt, TN
- BAM (Black Artist Matter), DuToit Gallery, Dayton, OH
- The Clay Studio National Invitational, The Clay Studio, Philadelphia, PA.
- Korean International Ceramics Biennale, Gyeonnggi Province, South Korea. Sept 27- November 24
- Solo Show: Momentum, Baltimore Clayworks, Solo Show June 29- August 24
- Collaborative Companions, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Minneapolis, MN March 25-30
- The Essential Bowl, Knauer Gallery, West Chester University, West Chester PA Nov 7- Jan 8, 2019
- So Much More: Ohio’s African American Artists. Willard Wankelman Gallery, Bowling Green State University. Sept 12- Oct 21st.
- National Society of Arts and Letters Exhibition 2018, Waldron Gallery, Bloomington, IN. Jan 2-20th
- Three Wheel Studio Ceramic Show, Three Wheel Studio, Providence, RI Nov. 16-Dec. 16, 2017
- Last Call II, Companion Gallery, Humboldt, TN Mar. 3-31, 2017
- MFA Nongraduating Show, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- Invitational Alumni Exhibition. Sinclair Community College. Dayton, OH
- MFA Nongraduating Show, Grunwald Gallery, Indiana University.
- Art +Design Associations First Group Show, The Hub, Bloomington, IN
- BFA Thesis Exhibition, BGSU.
- Flashshow: Symbiosis, The Wankelman Gallery. Bowling Green State University.
- Toy Chest, Collinwood Art Center, Toledo, OH
- President’s Suite Exhibition, 1 year exhibition. BGSU, Student Union
- Intimate Conversations in Metals 3, BGSU Administrations Building
- Michigan Mud Clay Conference Exhibition. Delta College, Bay City, MI
- Undergraduate Art and Design Exhibition. Dorothy Uber Bryan Gallery. Bowling Green State University. Bowling Green, Ohio
- Intimate Conversations in Metals. BGSU Bowen-Thompson Student Union, Bowling Green, Ohio
- Undergrad Show. BGSU, 1st in Sculpture
- 1st and 2nd in Ceramics
- Graduating Class Exhibition. Sinclair Community College. Dayton, Ohio
- Cline Show, Dayton Visual Arts Center, Dayton, Ohio
- Juried Student Exhibition, Burnell R. Roberts Triangle Gallery, Sinclair Community College, Dayton, Ohio
- Adjunct Ceramics Instructor, University of Dayton. Dayton, OH 2020-2021
- Baltimore Clayworks Community Arts
- Under Armor House, Village Learning, House or Ruth
- Adjunct Ceramics Instructor. Bard High school and Early College. Full academic year September 2018- June 2019
- Instructor. Baltimore Clayworks
- Baltimore Clayworks Workforce Development BCWD, Partnership with Baltimore City Public Schools. Full academic year.
- Adult Wheel throwing. Basic and Advanced courses.
- Hand Meets Wheel I & II. Merging of wheel thrown forms with hand built additions.
- Camp Ceramics Teacher. City Neighbors Hamilton Sumer Camp. July 9-July 13 and July 30- August 3
- Indiana University, Associate Instructor. S261: Ceramics I. Full academic year appointment. August 2017- May 2018
- Indiana University, Associate Instructor. N110: Art for Nonmajors. Full academic year appointment. August 2016- May 2017
- Indiana University, Wood and Metal Shop Assistant to the Shop Manager and Monitor, August 2015- December 2016
- Daniel Evans’ assistant, Bloomington Clay Studio, Bloomington, IN June-August 2016
- Mark Goertzen Pottery, Short Term Studio Assistant, Goshen, IN, May15-17
- Indiana University, Graduate Assistant, Bloomington, IN, August 2015- August 2016
- Sculpture Trails Outdoor Museum Intern. Solsberry, IN, July 1- July 31
- Poured 24,000 lbs. of iron and rammed 55,000 lbs. of resin bonded sand.
- Daniel Johnston assistant, Daniel Johnston Pottery, Seagrove, NC. July 25-August 21
- Pottery Assistant, Eastfork Pottery, Marshall, NC July 10-24
- Gallery Intern, Sinclair Community College, Dayton, OH
- Research Funding Bard College. ($500)
- National Society of Arts and Letters: Alma Eikerman Memorial in Visual Arts Award. ($600).
- Palmer Scholarship, Toledo Museum of Art ($3,200)
- Aaron Macy Pottery Scholarship ($1,000)
- Amy Ringholz Art Supply Award, Ringholz Studio ($1,000)
- Edith Franklin Pottery Scholarship, Toledo Community Foundation ($1,000)
- Art Scholarship, Sinclair Community College. ($500)
- Trial and Triumph. Ceramics Monthly. October 2019.
- Campus Involvement
- President , IU Ceramics Guild, Indiana University, January 2017-May 2017
- Vice President, IU Ceramics Guild, Indiana University, August 2016-December 2016
- Lead member of the Travel Committee
- Secretary, IU Ceramics Guild, Indiana University
- Member of the Visiting Artist Committee
- President, BGSU Clay Club, Bowling Green State University
- Founding President, Artist Reaching Out (A.R.O.), Bowling Green State University